We currently have an opportunity for a full time Principal Engineer within our Ports and Maritime team based in Cardiff. The successful candidate will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Jacobs Ports and Maritime provides specialist technical services in coastal zone infrastructure development. Our team specialises in commercial ports, bulk terminals, naval bases, breakwaters and coastal defences, dredging and reclamation, marine off-loading facilities and sea water intakes and outfalls. We support a wide range of major UK and international clients across the maritime, defence, energy and transport sectors.
We are currently in the midst of an exciting investment period for Jacobs Ports and Maritime during which we aim to achieve considerable and sustained profitable growth. This will provide great opportunities for you to work across a broad portfolio of projects and will offer a platform to gain significant experience.
The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in all aspects of maritime infrastructure projects. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our current projects involve the design and assessment of maritime facilities at naval bases, commercial ports and harbours as well as those associated with the construction and maintenance of power stations located on coastal sites (nuclear and conventional).
As a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer you will lead multi-disciplinary project teams to execute and deliver safe technical solutions to agreed standards, on-time and within budget. You will have established your reputation for the highest standards of service and technical delivery across a broad range of major projects.
As a senior member of our Ports and Maritime team you will hold significant experience in port and maritime project design and execution, be comfortable taking the lead on projects and will provide appropriate technical guidance to help develop less experienced team members. You will coordinate project resources and plan tasks and will contribute to our business goals.
The primary job responsibilities are:
* Technical leadership of the quality of project deliverables;
* Technical and professional leadership, guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians;
* Communication with clients and other design team members;
* Inter-discipline and inter-office project planning, delivery and financial performance;
* Business development activities including preparation of proposals;
* Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems; and
* Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture.
* Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer;
* Breadth and depth of experience in civil engineering design and construction;
Experience in the design and construction of port and maritime facilities & structures.
Experience in inspection, assessment and upgrade of marine structures
* Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes;
* Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability;
* Proven ability to manage projects and preparation of project deliverables, including managing risk, quality, budget, programme and resources;
* Commitment to continuous professional development; and
* Excellent verbal and written communication, and report writing skills.
* Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction; and
* Experience of foundation design.