Kalmar prototype dual fuel reachstacker
Kalmar's prototype of a new dual fuel diesel and LNG powered reachstacker was demoed at the Port of Livorno
Kalmar has demonstrated a visionary prototype of a new dual fuel diesel and LNG powered reachstacker at the Port of Livorno in Italy.
The demo was intended to illustrate how the prototype is expected to deliver significant results in terms of environmentally friendly operation – including reduced emissions and fuel costs.
Stefan Johansson, director, business development & product marketing, Kalmar, said: "LNG as fuel is a future trend within the vehicle and shipping industries to reduce the exhaust emissions. When more and more ports will have LNG available, there will be possibilities to run also other terminal products on LNG.”
He pointed out that the prototype will reduce carbon footprint and it also has a lower operation cost per hour. “The demonstration unit shows up to 20% lower fuel cost per hour,” Mr Johansson added.
The pilot is part of the Green Technologies and Eco-Efficient Alternatives for Cranes and Operations at Port Container Terminals (GREENCRANES) project, aimed at developing green technologies and eco-efficient alternatives for port container terminals.
Other participants in the pilot were the PerCro laboratory of the Scuola Superiore di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento Sant'Anna (SSSUO), Livorno Port Authority, RINA and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- First fully electric medium-range forklift
- Electric powered shuttle carrier pilot project
- Green equipment order for Australian operator
- New Port 2060 vision revealed
- Electric straddle carrier order
- Greener equipment to meet efficiency goals
- Kalmar upgrades diesel forklift range
- Electric trucks for Germany
- Kalmar secures 34 reachstacker deal
- Low emission engines for Kalmar
- Screw-type ship unloader preferred on environmental grounds
- Alumina ship loader for Brazil
- Automated lashing efficiency for containers
- Kalmar cranes reduce fuel consumption
- Deal won by both technology and support
- Cargotec introduces new electrical winch
- Cargotec unloaders for multiple ports
- Kalmar to supply India with all electric RTGs
- Cargotec cranes for new PIL vessels
- Kalmar straddle carriers for New Zealand
- Kalmar’s environmental focus
- Shuttle carrier order
- Kalmar RTGs for Indonesia
- Kalmar unveils hybrid 'first'
- Kalmar prototype dual fuel reachstacker
- Felixstowe commits to being green
- Kalmar sets emissions benchmark
- Electric straddle carrier delivery
- More Kalmar RTGs for Poland
- Kalmar hybrid shuttles bound for US
- Siwertell helps ABP Immingham unload
- New more efficient Kalmar ASC
- Kalmar equipment in demand
- Hybrid shuttle carriers to clean up Virginia
- Siwertell coal unloader for Itaqui
- World First - Hybrid Prime Mover launched in Singapore
- Cargotec's first Zero Emission RTGs to Asia
- China Navigation orders Cargotec cranes