Greener equipment to meet efficiency goals
With hybrid technology, the units can reduce annual CO2 emissions by over 50 tonnes each
Kalmar has bagged an order for eight Kalmar Hybrid Straddle Carriers from DP World Antwerp Gateway terminal in Belgium, which have been ordered to help meet the terminal’s efficiency goals.
DP World wants to minimise its impact on the environment and the new straddle carriers will be a significant factor in meeting this goal.
With hybrid technology, the fuel consumption of the straddle carrier can be decreased by up to 40% and the annual CO2 emissions by over 50 tonnes per unit compared to traditional machines. In addition, the hybrid start/stop function will much lower noise emissions.
Jef Lambregts, technical manager, DP World Antwerp Gateway, said: "Kalmar's hybrid straddle carriers offer significant reductions in fuel consumption and emissions, meaning they perfectly complement our environmental goals. These new machines will help us take a big step forward in terms of minimising the terminal's environmental impact and improving the energy efficiency of our operations."
The innovative regenerative energy system of the Kalmar Hybrid Straddle Carriers converts braking and spreader-lowering energy into electrical power and stores it in a state-of-the-art on-board battery system.
Kalmar and DP World have a long and distinguished relationship, with the Antwerp Gateway container terminal already operating six Kalmar STS cranes and 18 Kalmar straddle carriers.
Meanwhile, Kalmar has also secured a Gloria reachstacker order and maintenance contract for the Genoa based Italian ro-ro and shipper, the Messina Group.
Each of the nine Kalmar Gloria DRG450 reachstackers have innovative features like the eco drive modes, and the Kalmar SmartFleet remote monitoring and reporting solution to help improve operational performance.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Electric straddle carrier order
- Greener equipment to meet efficiency goals
- Kalmar upgrades diesel forklift range
- Electric trucks for Germany
- Kalmar secures 34 reachstacker deal
- Low emission engines for Kalmar
- Screw-type ship unloader preferred on environmental grounds
- Alumina ship loader for Brazil
- Automated lashing efficiency for containers
- Kalmar cranes reduce fuel consumption
- Deal won by both technology and support
- Cargotec introduces new electrical winch
- Cargotec unloaders for multiple ports
- Kalmar to supply India with all electric RTGs
- Cargotec cranes for new PIL vessels
- Kalmar straddle carriers for New Zealand
- Kalmar’s environmental focus
- Shuttle carrier order
- Kalmar RTGs for Indonesia
- Kalmar unveils hybrid 'first'
- Kalmar prototype dual fuel reachstacker
- Felixstowe commits to being green
- Kalmar sets emissions benchmark
- Electric straddle carrier delivery
- More Kalmar RTGs for Poland
- Kalmar hybrid shuttles bound for US
- Siwertell helps ABP Immingham unload
- New more efficient Kalmar ASC
- Kalmar equipment in demand
- Hybrid shuttle carriers to clean up Virginia
- Siwertell coal unloader for Itaqui
- World First - Hybrid Prime Mover launched in Singapore
- Cargotec's first Zero Emission RTGs to Asia
- China Navigation orders Cargotec cranes