P&O Maritime is a diverse global company in the marine transport sector delivering innovative and sustainable solutions in partnership with our customers. With a strong focus on business growth and excellence, P&O’s operations span Australasia, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa.
www.pomaritime.comAbout the role
Based in Lowestoft - UK and reporting to the General Manager UK Business Unit, the Technical Superintendent is responsible for the Technical Management of Research Vessels and all aspects of Marine Engineering standards and policies. Responsible for planned maintenance system, repair, alterations, upkeep, refit of vessels, dry docks and having regard for the client’s public image and functions. Responsible for providing end-to-end technical and engineering support services delivering as required to both internal and external requests. Responsible for the development and providing guidance on new technologies that could be utilised in fleet vessels. To cover leave or other periods of absence by the Business Unit General Manager. To manage and liaise with Nets/Gear Manager on all aspects of workshop and equipment storage / deployment.Key Responsibilities
- Ensure vessels are maintained and fully operational to meet charter obligations and customer requirements and provide guidance to General Manager and/or Marine Superintendent on technical status and capabilities.
- Liaise with clients/end users to address any concerns or queries with regard to vessel, equipment functionality and personnel or as required by General Manager
- Ensure vessels remain in 'A1' condition and in accordance with international regulations and class and all vessel and hull dockings/surveys and carried out.
- Leading energy efficiency measures onboard the vessels
- Ensure an effective Planned Maintenance program and defect resolution process is in place for all vessels on areas of responsibility and any repairs are completed with minimal operational and financial impact.
- Audit/inspect Engine Room logbooks and monitoring vessel condition.
- Advise vessel owners on any vessel modifications/ conversions requested and plan and execute as required while ensuring no impact to safety and integrity of the vessel.
- Carry out technical inspections on each vessel.
- To monitor and where appropriate look for best value when procuring services, equipment
- Attend pre cruise, post cruise, operational and management meetings as required and follow up on relevant action items
- Continually develop and implement improved planning, workshop and technical control procedures
- Produce formal reports of technical activities
- To continually improve technical and engineering efficiencies through the review and audit of processes and procedures as required
- Undertake vessel audits as required
- Carry out vessel inspections and audits of prospective additional tonnage as required.
- Initiate and conduct investigations into incident and near miss reports, proposing and implementing cost effective solutions.
- Act as the day to day liaison with the client addressing any emerging issues on a preventative footing at all times,
- Provide suitably qualified staff to operate and maintain Workshop equipment
- Ensure weekly and monthly work plans are generated and executed providing optimal efficiency and economy.
- Ensure all necessary safety precautions are taken by workshop staff.
- Provide workshop staff as required to attend vessels for installations, repair and maintenance.
- Carry out modifications and work requests as required.
- Assess and respond to requests submitted through the modifications form.
- Technical and engineering support services and engineering workshop services delivering as required to both internal and external requests.
- To ensure logistics and planned maintenance procedures for the effective storage and maintenance of equipment at the Pinbush facility maintained.
- To liaise on any issues with regards to Pinbush IT and infrastructure
- To ensure facility is clean and tidy at all times to reflect the high operating standards of the company.
- To routinely monitor budgetary performance i.e. expenditure vs budget
- Produce reports and reforecasts as required
- Work with ship staff and managers to implement procedures and processes which provide ownership and accountability by senior ship staff for technical expenses
- To assist in the preparation of technical and engineering annual budgets
- Ensure that expense forms and alterations to payroll details are communicated to HR and finance team in a timely manner
- To ensure all company financial policies are followed including the completion of CAPEX forms and contract approvals
- Ensure best practice procurement processes are in place
- Ensure that the process for netstore recharge is accurate and processed in a timely fashion and that customer back- up and paper requirements are in place
- Ensure that the process for hotel services , fuel, port charges and other recharge is in place and the customer back- up and paper requirements are in place
- Work with ship staff and managers to implement procedures and processes which provide ownership and accountability by senior ship staff for operational expenses
Occupational Health Safety & Environment Management
- Communicate health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure staff understand current policy and practice requirements
- Monitor subordinate staff awareness of and compliance with Company policy and procedures to maintain a safe working environment
- Take corrective action to remedy safety hazards or risks and restore a safe working environment
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of an environmental plan concerning the activities of the vessels
- Monitor subordinate staff awareness of and compliance with Company policy and procedures in line with quality and environmental standards
- Maintain all files and records in an up to date and accurate manner to improve the efficiency of day to day activities and compliance with statutory and quality standards
- Willingness and ability to challenge processes and procedures to improve operational efficiencies
- Embrace the requirement to modify and alter current systems, processes and modes of operation
- Develop relationships with Managers in POMS given varied geographic location of offices and different mode of operation
- Delivery of the operational aspects of the POMS client contracts
- Enhancement of customer relationships to further develop and grow business opportunities where possible
- Delivery of research and business development function
Qualifications & Experience
- A Class I Chief Engineer certificate of competency with relevant recent experience
- Previous experience in marine technical fleet management
- Knowledge of diesel electric machinery/propulsion.
- Good project planning, costing, budgeting skills.
- Preparation of dry-docking specifications
- Experience with electronic planned maintenance systems
- Control of technical purchasing
- Strong and sound knowledge of ISPS, ISM, Flag State and Classifications Society procedures and regulations
- Excellent communication and people management skills.
- Involvement with new building projects
- Business/management qualifications would be an advantage
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is essential.
- Knowledge in other MS Office package such as Power Point, Project and CAD would be an advantage
- A dynamic, flexible and operationally focussed individual looking for an exciting and challenging career in diverse environment. Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of OHS&E in the workplace
We are currently seeking a Maritime Engineer to join a leading engineering and environmental consult... Read more
The National Oceanography Centre (NOC) is a national research organisation, delivering integrated ma... Read more
P&O Maritime is a diverse global company in the marine transport sector delivering innovative and su... Read more
The main purpose of the Offshore Resource Manager role is to manage the provision of offshore resour... Read more
As the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames, the PLA grants licences for all structures ... Read more