Ship Ship Operator
The Global Voyage Operations Team manages the safe, compliant and reliable operation of all voyages involving BP and third party vessels, while optimising efficiency and commercial performance to deliver competitive advantage to the BP Group.
The Ship Operator manages all aspects of the voyage in accordance with the Charter Party terms; engaging with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders and acting as the single point of contact for masters and owners/brokers. The role is at the very front line of management and mitigation of BP Shipping and Group Risk.
- Provide commercial expertise and marine awareness to manage risks associated with transportation of hydrocarbons, chemicals and dry bulk. Ship Operators directly provide barriers to many of the BP Group and BP Shipping risks.
- Management of all non-scheduling activity including day to day operations of allocated voyages for owned, time chartered and spot chartered vessels in accordance with the charter party terms and BP Shipping policies and Voyage Operations Procedures.:
- Management of vessel, port and berth clearances
- Generation and issue of Voyage Orders (including load and discharge instructions).
- Intakes and UKC compliance
- Appointment of port agents
- Management of Charter Parties terms
- Deliver the principles of Total Voyage Management to maximise commercial success (including virtual arrival , weather routing, slow steaming cargo heating, intake optimisation)
- Identify and execute optimum bunker procurement (within delegated authority)
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders offering support and providing guidance to ensure the safe, compliant and reliable planning and execution of voyages. Including:
- Wider BP Group (particularly IST)
- Fleet Operations
- Vetting & Clearance
- BPS Legal
- Owners, brokers and agents
- Provide pre-fixture advice to Charterers.
- Provide commercial expertise and appropriate marine awareness advice to IST.
- To provide out of hours and weekend duty cover for relevant benches. To include support to the BP Shipping Incident Management Team and Business Support Team.
- Higher Education or equivalent Marine qualification
Essential experience and job requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable flexibility, attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure and prioritise a varied and dynamic workload
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
All of the Values and Behaviours are applicable to every role, but the following are most critical for this role:
- Safety: follow the requirement in OMS, and contribute to the delivery of safe, compliant and reliable operations.
- Respect: build strong relationships based on trust and honest discussion
- Excellence: learn and apply the best practices of BP, act with professionalism and strive for excellent execution
- Courage: always aim to do the right thing based on BP’s rules and standards, and respond to challenges with resilience and reason.
- One Team: support those I work with and help to build the effectiveness of my team to achieve the best results
Technical / Role-specific Competencies
- Vessel Particulars: Good understanding of the physical characteristics of a vessel with regards to cargo operations.
- Voyage Assurance Management: Understanding of Vetting & Clearance procedures, bunker requirements, under keel clearance assessments, STS operations, operating in ice, open sampling & cargo additivisation/dyeing, tank cleaning, slop and sludge disposal, cargo heating, dealing with agents, managing vessel handovers.
- Voyage Commercial Management: Understanding of Charter Parties and voyage orders, letters of indemnity, BPOSS, time charter delivery and redelivery, war risk additional premiums, optimising cargo intakes, remaining on board (ROB), off specification cargo, principles of virtual arrival, principles of Total Voyage Management.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Ability to build effective internal and external relationships, and identify and share best practice with peers.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Previous marine experience
- Previous commercial experience (in a shipping environment)
An opportunity currently exists to join the Briggs Group, an established company specialising in mar... Read more
ABP are looking for committed and reliable individuals to join the Operations Department of the Humb... Read more
The Global Voyage Operations Team manages the safe, compliant and reliable operation of all voyages ... Read more