Head Head of Engineering, Bulks
Associated British Ports
Head of Engineering, Bulks
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK's leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK's busiest port and Southampton, the UK's leading export port and number one for cars and cruise.
The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute �5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
ABP's Humber facilities offer customers close links to markets in mainland Europe and Scandinavia and expertise in a broad range of cargoes, including energy, vehicles, roll-on roll-off, containers, bulks, liquid bulks and forest products.
Immingham is currently the UK's largest port by volume. With naturally deep water, the port is home to some of the UK's major bulk operations handling a range of cargoes in large vessels. In recent years ABP has invested over �150m in establishing deep water facilities equipped with state of art discharge and storage facilities. It is the market leader and with long term plans for further investment.
Part of the senior management team and reporting to a member of the Humber Leadership Board, the role calls for the strategic & tactical leadership, day to day management and development of a high performing, health and safety driven Engineering team.
As the Head of Engineering Bulks, you will establish a performance culture within the heart of the business and day to day management for the terminal including the development of long-term solutions through continuous investment in people, assets and facilities to ensure the lmmingham Bulk operations remains as the market leader.
- Establish and embed a safety first culture across the Engineering function. Take lead role in driving safety performance.
- Driving operational performance for the bulk terminals will be critical as the role will have significant profit and loss accountability.
- Responsible for the strategic management, development and operational requirements of the engineering team & facilities.
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day engineering problems including the development of long-term solutions.
- Liaise with the terminal managers and team to provide the proactive solutions to engineering issues.
- Responsible for the development of Bulk terminal engineering activities in line with the commercial plans.
- Represent the Company at industry relevant bodies/ organisations.
- Attend out-of-hour calls as required.
- Contribute to the Humber Regional Management Team.
Skills and Experience
- A process driven, commercially, engineering minded and customer focused manager.
- A strong and personal commitment to achieving excellence in terms of Safety
- Strong and flexible communication skills so able to manage engineers.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to establish a strong relationship with senior managers, customers and external stakeholders.
- Able to inspire and lead, being emotionally intelligent, self-aware and adaptable.
- Proven ability in effectively managing, motivating and developing teams (directly and indirectly employed workers), instilling skills and confidence.
- Willingness to be 'hands-on' and to take full responsibility for the day-to-day engineering operations.
- Previous experience of managing budgets and maximising operational engineering efficiencies.
- Proven experience in managing competing demands e.g. day- to-day operations alongside specific projects.
- Commercially astute and so maintaining a macro view of the processes, engineering and its wider context.
- Experience of change management and business analytics - continuously reviewing and improving.
- Experience of operating in a unionised environment.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
DeepOcean is an integrated provider of safe, high quality, innovative services and technologies for ... Read more
ABP is the UK's leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland an... Read more
We are looking for a Marketing & Audience Development Executive to join our award winning B2B media ... Read more
We are looking for an experienced and talented Digital Marketing Executive to join our award winning... Read more